Thursday, October 5, 2017

Story no. 4: Embrace your inner artist


My step-daughter has triplet girls. Every few months we are so lucky to have a Grandparent Weekend. There are three sets of grandparents so each of us takes one girl and we rotate the girls for every visit. It's a great way for the girls to get one-on-one time. We had Emily this past weekend. Now that they're almost 4, they are so much fun to interact with. And they LOVE making art. All weekend Emily kept asking to do "something artsy" with me. Running around all weekend kept us busy but finally on Sunday morning, I got big sheets of paper and water color for her to use. It was such a joy to watch her paint. There is nothing like watching a toddler approach art. They have no fear. They can't wait to dive in and explore. Along the way, she explained in great detail all of the things going on in her masterpiece. Her imagination took flight.

Today, as I work on a new painting in my studio, I want to remember the freedom I felt as a little girl when it came to making art. I want to remind myself that there are no mistakes and that the only goal is to have fun and explore my world. I need to remember there was a time in my life when I only knew the pure joy of playing. It's time to embrace my inner artist again and be grateful for the toddlers in my life who remind me of joy and freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment